It is about the body, mind and soul dancing in harmony.
It all started when I was greeted one morning by one of my colleagues at work: "… and how are you today Dalal?". Nothing unusual about the question although most of the time we ask "how are you" when we are really not interested in the answer.
I paused for a second and thought: "now, is she interested in my wellbeing physically, psychologically, spiritually, mentally, socially, financially??". The answer would be very different to every aspect.
The idea then came to me: why don't we ask instead "how are your cells today?" because my state of mind affects the health of the cells in my entire body!
I don't claim to be an expert in this field, but the little I know is enough to convince me that, every now and then, I need to look within. There is a whole universe inside my body with a miracle happening every second. The idea has inspired a number of my paintings entitled: "the cellular universe".
Well, we know that the body is made of about 10 trillion cells with about 200 types of them. To get things into perspective, just picture a house full of peas – floor to ceiling…. that is peas without the pods!
We also know that stem cells are blank slates. They can develop into every cell, every tissue and every organ. They have limitless potential. With so much to learn about what goes on every second in our body and how it affects us, why should we leave the profound and too important information about cells to scientists alone?
To keep it simple, I had a quick look at the Oxford Children's Book of Science by Charles Taylor and Stephen Pople and came up with the following facts to consider:
• All life consists of one or more cells;
• All life is made from the same materials;
• All life can react to changes in its external and internal environments;
• The instruction book for assembling proteins in the cell is contained with the DNA;
• Whenever a cell divides, it first makes a copy of its DNA so that each new cell has its own instruction kit (very smart);
• A hormone is a chemical created by a group of cells in one part of the body that encourages activity in another part of the body – ie it carries a message that tells a 2nd group of cells to do something (high tech communication, no?)
• Each cell is surrounded by a cloud of energy. When this cloud is vital, happy and stress-free, it penetrates the DNA cells and revitalizes the cells.
Based on these facts, it is clear then that we need to monitor our thoughts and take charge of our state of mind as part of our daily health routine. Positive thinking alone is not enough. Dieting and exercising alone are not enough. It is the body, mind and soul dancing in harmony.
So next time someone asks you: how are you? Give a thought to those hard working cells and revitalize them with your thoughts.
" There are those who think that sickness, disease and suffering are sent by God – if so then every surgeon, physician and the Red Cross are defying the will of God" Charles F Haanel
Take care…. of your cells and make every day a Cell-ebration !